Technical Specifications Take a virtual tour
In September 2015 Herbst Theatre received significant upgrades. Stage systems improvements included a new counterweight rigging system, expanded stage wing space, orchestra lift replacement and new lighting positions. There is also a new backstage suite with accessible stage level dressing rooms, a multi-purpose rehearsal room, and a performers lounge provided by a gift from the Herbst Foundation.
Patron improvements included new seats in the Dress Circle and Balcony section, redesigned Box seating with improved comfort and sight lines and additional restroom facilities on the first floor. Acoustic improvements included a new orchestra shell provided by a private gift from the Herbst Theatre Acoustic Advisory Committee.
- The Herbst Theatre has a proscenium stage with an orchestra pit lift, which acts as an extended stage apron when raised.
- The stage is 33' in depth (29' upstage of the proscenium) + a 9'10" extended apron on orchestra pit lift.
- The proscenium is 33'11" wide by 23' high.
- The fly system has 41 pipes on 6" centers (see Line Set Schedule).
- Fly system includes side tab pipes 20' long located 24' Stage Left and Stage Right of Center Line.
- Typical batten length is 44'. Locking Rail is located in the stage left wing.
- Grid Height is 58'10".
- There is a complete set of black velour legs and borders.
- Custom made acoustic orchestra shell with ceiling panels is available.
- A complete stage plot consisting of ETC Source 4 lamps, 9 Martin MAC Quantum Wash LED moving lights, and ETC GIO lighting console is available at no charge. Lighting plot and further documentation is available by request in either PDF or CAD.
- Phoebus Titan 2 follow spots (two available): $75
- L'Acoustics Kudo Line Array System (6 per side) with a Yamaha CL5 digital console: $100 per day
- Clear-Com system: No charge
- Meyer MJF210 Monitor Speakers (6 available): $50 each
- Denon Dual CD player: $25
- Shure wireless microphones/combo kit (12 channels available): $25 each
- Various dynamic and condenser microphones (see separate listing of sound equipment): $5-$20 each
- Installed front and rear-projection systems and screens
- Panasonic 10K HD projector $350
- 15x20 Fast-Fold rear projection screen $75
- 19x25 Fast-Fold FOH projection screen $100
- Barco video switcher $100
Stage crew at Herbst Theatre are members of IATSE Local 16. Our union crew is required for the installation and operation of all theatrical, audio, and visual equipment. This includes audio and video recording.
AUDIO AND VIDEO RECORDING
Only archival recording with one camera or single track archival audio are permitted without a separate agreement. Origination fees and added labor expenses may apply for any other recording projects.
LOADING AND PARKING
Herbst Theatre loading is via the southwest doors of the Veterans Building from the Memorial Court and Horseshoe Driveway, near the corner of Fulton and Franklin Streets. As there is no loading dock, trucks should have a lift gate or ramp.
Short-term parking is allowed for loading and unloading with advance approval. Street parking for large trucks and vehicles must be arranged in advance and may require a separate permit from the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.
One off-street parking permit a available to Licensees after 5:00 pm on weekdays and all day on weekends. This spot will accommodate large vehicles. No additional parking is available on the premises. See Directions & Parking for more information.
- Narrowest point in corridor: 4'8" by 7'7"
- Loading door to exterior: 4'9" wide by 7'11" high
- Stage Right loading doors: 4'10" wide by 7'1" high
- Narrowest point in south corridor: 4'8" wide by 7'8" high
- Upstage Center loading door: 6'11" wide by 7'11" high
#SFWiFi, the City of San Francisco’s open public network, is the only available WiFi service throughout Herbst Theatre and the backstage suite. The War Memorial does not have control over this network and it can be slow or unreliable at times.
A small secure WiFi network for box office and merchandise sales is available in certain front of house spaces. This network is not for general use.
A hard line internet connection for stage use can usually be arranged with advance notice.
DRESSING ROOMS AND SUPPORT SPACE
The Herbst Theatre backstage suite is fully accessible and includes:
- Three individual dressing rooms each with makeup stations for up to 4 people, restroom, shower, stage audio feed and paging.
- Two group dressing rooms each with makeup stations for up to 12 people, lockers, restrooms, shower, stage audio feed and paging.
- Performers Lounge with comfortable furnishings, audio and video feed from the stage, paging, service counter, refrigerator, microwave and sink for simple food prep and storage. Maximum capacity: 60 people.
- Multi-purpose rehearsal room with Marley-covered sprung floor, mirrors along one wall, audio and video feed from the stage and paging. Maximum capacity: 140 people.
We do not provide towels, wardrobe equipment or other backstage hospitality items. Presenters must provide those items for their artists. There are no laundry facilities onsite.
For additional stage or technical information:
Herbst Theatre Technical Coordinator
For booking and availability or other general information: